Sunday, June 27, 2010

"Waterlilies" (20" X 24") Oil on Canvas



This is a painting of a pond on the property of a famous Taos founding artist named Nicholai Fechin.  When I attempted to execute this painting I did not realize how difficult it would be -- a seemingly simple subject, but very reflective of everything around it. As in most of my paintings, I chose to execute this one in the late afternoon/evening sun.  The colors of the blooms and lilypads are soft,warm and inviting, but difficult to contrast against the sky which kept changing and getting warmer and warmer in tone.  I had to return a few times to finish this work which, normally, would have taken but a few hours.

It amazes me how these lilies manage to survive in Taos' bitter winters.

"Waterlilies I"      (24" X 30")     Oil on Canvas

1 comment:

  1. Your art is so bright and cheerful. The colors just pop from the canvas. You are truly talented. I love your style.

    Barbara Lemley
    AKA Reddwine

    ReplyDelete

Please let us know what you think about this blog entry. Thank you for stopping by.